Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saint Seiya Sanctuary Battle review/thoughts on

Saint Seiya is an anime that's obscure over here in the United States,but since I live close to Mexico,I go there and visit my family and go to anime cons.While there's not any Saint Seiya cosplayers,it seems pretty big other there,being at least on level of DBZ back in the day according to my cousins.

Problem is,no one here seems to know about it,so I guess it's expected for this game not to get released over here.(though a PSN release would've been nice).Anyhow,I imported this game,and here I am.

It starts off in the Sanctuary Arc,gives some basic general exposition,not touching on events that happened on in the previous arc.If you haven't seen or read the series,some stuff won't make sense,so this is primarily a game for fans.Speaking of which,voice acting is Japanese with English subtitles.
I enjoyed hearing it,except for the "condensending" sounding generic grunt that pissed me off while playing through a couple of a stages.

Story starts off with Very Easy,Easy,Normal and Hard.I went with Normal my first playthrough.
If you beat the story on Hard,you unlock Bronze,Silver and Gold difficulties.

Gameplay is a standard beat-em-up,kill around 20 or 30 enemies in a small section then progress to do the same in the next until you beat a mini boss and end the stage.It's repetitive,I was ok with it at first,but after it's all said and done,I didn't enjoy them.

There's 24 characters that you can use,most of them feel different enough to not be a clone of each other.


The Circle and R1 buttons are for special attacks,L2 is for the 7th Sense which slows down time,R2 raise your Cosmo (energy),Square is for basic attack and Triangle if for strong attacks.
If you hold down R2 and either a basic or strong attack during the 7th Sense,it does this stronger version of that attack.
If you hold down R2 and a special attack button while a blue sphere is by your health bar,you activate a Big Bang Attack (Which usually look pretty cool).Big Bang Attacks can only be used on bosses.

Bosses are the Gold Saints,there's 12 in total and these stages are pretty fun.One on one is refreshing after fighting about a million grunts.

After either a beat-em-up or boss stage,you get experience for Hp,Cosmos,Attack,Defense and Luck.
I heard that Attack was the best stat to dump the Xp on,and I have to agree.To get the best score,you need to finish stages quick,and while defense could be helpful against bosses,it won't help you beat the stages quicker.
You can also spend Xp on skills that you can equip,intially,you can only equip 1,but as your levels increase,you can put up to 3.

You go through the story and it unlocks some more story chapters and a music player.The story chapters are pretty short compared to the Sanctuary,but do kinda help with some of the events behind the scenes.

Mission mode and survival is just there to "round out" the package,all they are are the same stages,but without any story dialogue.There's a single mission mode and a tag-team mission mode.which you can play with a friends or a brother(like me) and both have online and offline versions,effectively giving the illusion of four modes.Seeing on how there's around 12-15 beat-em-up stages and 12 boss stages,the game will quickly get repetitive,ESPECIALLY if you want that Platinum Trophy.
Some mission stages have a God level of difficulty and it feels more cheap than anything,bosses seem to take away around 50% of your Hp,regardless of Defense.
The "Watermelon" skill,which gives you unlimited continues and a free Big Bang Attack if you get lucky,is practically required.There's no way you can beat those stages with just 3 continues.

Extras include character models (Because there's SOOO much variety),a cutscene
viewer that includes story events AND the playable characters' Big Bang Attacks,the music player after beating the Story,and a toy viewer.
You can view the real life toys of the Saints in this game,I think this is the most innovative thing the game did,I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

The music is lacking,and feels generic,even though it's suppose to be remixes of the anime ost.
There's only like 2 or 3 songs that I liked,and even then I can't remember what they sounded like,thankfully,you can play your own music.Sure helps to be listening to the actual Saint Seiya music while playing this repetitve game.

Not sure on how graphics are though.They get the job done,but they won't blow anyone's mind.
The characters look like they have dimension to them,like the first DBZ Budokai,and look a little shiny,but this is probably for the Cloth the Saints have.Bland at worst,pretty pleasing at best.
The areas tend to look boring,I know it's in Greece and it's ruined and shit,but still.
The exception is Rose Road,which is exactly what it sounds like.

I recommend this to Saint Seiya fans who don't mind an average game,fans that just want to play with the Saints in a video game,it;s worth the import.Getting a Platinum WILL kill whatever desire you have to touch this game again,no matter what kind of fan you are.

For everyone else,I say it's not worth the import.I don't know WHY you'd want to import a game based of an anime you' probably never seen,but don't get this one.


Took me 39 Hours and 56 Minutes to get the Platinum that I could never stop bragging about.
Got it on November 13,shelved on November 19 after I was done.
Characters levels at the end.
Ikki-Lv76
Shun and Shiryu-Lv26 and 27 respectively
Hyoga-Lv28
Seiya-Lv31
Might go to Gamestop to see if they'll let me sell a European game.

The guide I used.
http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/12/saint-seiya-sanctuary-battle-trophy-guide/

The place I imported it from.
http://www.play-asia.com/Saint_Seiya_Sanctuary_Battle/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-4lm3.html




Here's some of my favorite shots,background worthy I'd say.




No comments:

Post a Comment