Sunday, April 14, 2013

Saint Seiya


Assuming you never saw it (or even heard of it),this anime is basically a fighting anime in the same vein as Dragon Ball Z and Naruto but with greek mythology sprinkled in.It also has some of the cool techniques in all of the anime I watched,better than Naruto and Dragon Bal techniques,but I think it's tied with Yu Yu Hakusho in that regard.

Anyway,this showed up on Cartoon Network way back around the late 90s/early 00s
However,that version was crap,they changed all the blood to a blue color and everyone's voices sucked and the plot was delivered in such a bad way,it's no wonder why it didn't catch on.
This version was called Knights of the Zodiac.

















I think I watched one episode when I was young,but I can't really remember what I thought of it back then.

Years passed and I was talking with my older cousin,and he told me that Saint Seiya was as popular as Dragon Ball Z in Mexico,so that got me really interested,because I was and still am a huge Dragon Ball Z fan.Oh yeah,my cousin lives in Mexico,so he's speaking from experience,just to give context to the story.


I don't know why I didn't seek it out immediately but time passed.One day,I was at Best Buy,browsing the anime section,and I saw the Saint Seiya Collection One box and of course I picked it up.The Collections are basically the uncut version and do a much better job than the Knights of the Zodiac version.















Then I went as soon as the Collection Two came out and bought that.And then I picked up the Collection Thr...oh wait,that never came out,because nobody knows about it and nobody bought it!
So the people that did buy this series are left off on a cliffhanger on one of the arcs,and now the company that brought it over here,ADV Films,is down and out,so Saint Seiya is dead in the states!



The series in general is famous around the world,EXCEPT for the United States,and a few spin off series have been made such as Lost Canvas and Omega.Those can be watched for free on Crunchyroll and these are somewhat giving Saint Seiya a presence in the English speaking world of anime.

Diskotek,an anime publisher known for focusing on older anime,is releasing the Saint Seiya Movies this summer.



Both will be available June 25,2013








I will of course be picking these up as soon as I can,and with the presence of Saint Seiya on Crunchyroll,I hope that these will do well.


Now,this is more of a daydream if anything,but if the movies do well,maybe Discotek could release the rest of the original Saint Seiya dvds?Discotek hasn't made any comments about that,and even if they did express interest in that,there's still the hurdles of licensing to jump through,but I can dream,right?

Anyway,I hope you at least know about the series now,and better yet,support the Saint Seiya franchise.I've done my part,and I will end this by showing off my Saint Seiya stuff,because I like taking pictures of stuff.










I even imported this game,it's ok.




I want the other Saints now.
This series is great.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment