Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sub vs Dub/Japanese in general

Yeah,I'm sure this is a tired and worn out subject but I want to give my thoughts on the matter.

I don't mind either one,but I tend to go with the dub if possible.If there's no dub available,oh well,there's the Japanese version.

One thing that's really weird is that when you go from sub to dub like say Naruto,it feels off for some reason.It may be a matter of better talent or it may be that I'm not a Japanese speaker and therefore,I can't tell the flaws of a Japanese dub,so it doesn't feel as weird when I go from dub to sub.
On the other hand,I can easily criticize the English dub because I know what sounds natural and what doesn't.One thing to take note is dubbers have it harder because the anime was made for Japanese language,not easily translated for another language.

Some early dubs of anime are pretty bad,but some have the effect of "so bad,it's good" thing going on,like Sailor Moon.It's fun to watch for the cheesy voices and outdated 90's slang.

Another reason why I prefer dubs to subs is because I'm much more likely to meet the dub voice actors as opposed to the Japanese voice actors in real life at anime conventions.Unless I go to Japan,but then there's the whole language/cultural barrier.

But then there's the advantage that I can learn some minor Japanese while watching anime.When I was playing EX Troopers,which is entirely in Japanese,I did catch some of the things they said.
I owe that to anime,but I doubt I can actually interact with a Japanese person,anime isn't Rosetta Stone or whatever people use to learn Japanese.



This one is more helpful for learning Japanese.
I recommend both anyway,they're free.
This is a fun rhythm game with Japanese,I like it a lot.





























On the subject of Japanese,I'm wondering if I should take a Japanese class in college.
Speaking Japanese is probably something I can handle but I'm wondering if I can handle writing Japanese.
With the apps I have along with my anime,I'll probably be fine if I do take a Japanese course.
I already 2 languages,English and Spanish,and Japanese would look pretty cool on my resume or whatever,a business/marketing major that's also Trilingual.
I assume I'll meet some anime fans in that Japanese course since those pretty much overlap.
Maybe I can even understand my imported Japanese video games!
The only negative I see with this idea is that I might suck at writing Japanese,or I may not be smart enough to learn 3 languages.
Learning a new language isn't easy,and I'm not sure if I'm willing to invest the time into it,I mean,Japanese isn't really necessary for everyday life in San Antonio,and I can see myself dropping that class just because I'm too lazy to put the effort.

I figure it might be worth a shot though,so I think I'll try it anyway.






No comments:

Post a Comment