Friday, March 15, 2013

SMT X Fire Emblem














This is the weirdest crossover yet,I think,the last one that surprised me was Pokémon Conquest.

Crossing the modern Shin Megami Tensei series with the fantasy Fire Emblem feels weird,and I will give my thoughts on this,even though this game's been announced like 2 months ago.

On the Fire Emblem side of things,I played Path of Radiance,Radiant Dawn,Shadow Dragon and Awakening.
On the SMT side,I played 5 hours Devil Survivor Overclocked.I really want to play Persona 4 Golden but that's all the experience I have with the SMT series.
I'm sure you can find someone else that put a lot more time into both series than I have,but whatever,I still want to talk about this.

To my limited knowledge from only playing Devil Survivor Overclocked,I'd say that the Shin Megami Tensei characters would kill the Fire Emblem characters.

I personally like Fire Emblem more than the Devil Survivor game,but I can't ignore the fact that the SMT characters fight demons as common enemies as opposed to the generic soldiers from Fire Emblem.
In Fire Emblem,only mages can use magic and pretty much any character in any SMT game at least has some form of magic,and while I never finished Devil Survivor,I assume you fight bosses way above the level of Fire Emblem.

Based on the power difference,we can assume the jumbled mess of a story will be the everyone fighting against a common enemy or they will have to nerf the SMT characters by making some bullshit about "This dimension weakens our power".
I can honestly see both happening.


Also,I wonder if thee crossover will just pick out the tried and true mechanics of their respective series or if they will include stuff like the Pair Up option from Fire Emblem Awakening or if the Demon Fusion will be in this game,or maybe the social links in they really want to get in depth,but I feel that's too ambitious,so I feel the developers would want to play it safe and are betting that the crossover in itself is enough for people.










Ok,this game will be for the Wii U.While I am happy that the Wii U will be getting some JRPG love,I'm not sure what justifies it being there instead of the 3DS,since Japan love gaming on the go.
There's not really any RPG's on the Wii U at the moment,and I assume it's because no one knows how to take advantage of the Touchpad instead of just being a second screen,since the 3DS has the same thing,but it's non intrusive compared to the way the Wii U would do it.

Aside from the improved graphics,I see no way how it would benefit the game.
Maybe better online or something,who knows,maybe they just want to move units in Japan and this is the best way to do it.All of the recent Fire Emblem and SMT have been for the handheld systems,so I don't think I'm wrong in this regard.

I'm know Atlus and Intelligent Systems are working on it,so it should be a quality game with both of them backing each other up.

We didn't really get much info from the teaser trailer,they just basically announced it.

One thing to note that the game will have will probably go for the Teen rating,since I can't imagine Nintendo approving one of their games with a Mature rating but for all I know,maybe they will because the game might be more centered on SMT and less on Fire Emblem.

There's not anything else to speculate on except for the effect this might have on the respective series.









Fire Emblem Awakening sold pretty good,the best it's ever done over here in America and did pretty good in Japan as well.

Devil Survivor 2 sold ok over here I assume,by Atlus standards,and that game is getting remade for the 3DS.
SMT 4 is coming out in a couple of months for Japan and I assume it will be a year until we see an English release.
Soul Hackers is coming out next month,and I assume that game won't break any records.
Persona 4 Golden is Atlus' killer app even though it was on the Vita,I heard it did good all things considered.

Atlus' games usually sell a small amount and Fire Emblem at its weakest can still barely beat the best selling SMT games,in America at least.

Maybe this crossover will help the SMT series here in America,Awakening is the pinnacle of the series in terms of sales and pairing a somewhat similar RPG game with Fire Emblem has to good for said series.

As long as the crossover game has a casual mode,I'm almost convinced that Awakening sold as well as it did because the permadeath aspect intimidated many people from trying the games out so it's in the best interest for SMT to have an easy mode,if they want the series to sell well in places besides Japan.
Japan loves to grind apparently,everyone else in the world can't tolerate it as much as they can,so make it more accessible and you should be good to go.


If they do just that,the SMT games will get a bigge fanbase,which means more money for them,which means more localized titles for us,so I hope everyone goes smoothly.


Hopefully we'll get more info on E3,but remember,this was announced thorugh a Nintendo Direct,which was announced like a day in advance,so we might be getting more details at any given time.








No comments:

Post a Comment