Thursday, December 27, 2012

Should Nintendo games have achievements?

"You wrote a somewhat coherent blog!"
Ever since I got my PS3 in the summer of 2012,I realized that trophies are pretty fun.
Sure,some are lazy like beating a chapter in the story mode and some of the trophies names either reference something or are just fun to earn.

While I don't really have a strong need to get a Platunum trophy,I do kind of play a game more or so stuff I normally wouldn't because of I want to get a little trophy.

It's fun being able to show off how good you are and at the same time,sort of advertise obscure games that you've played and hope that some of your friends check out No More Heroes.(Expertly handled plug).
Video games are getting more expensive and trying to get everything out of the game you paid 60 bucks isn't a crazy idea,you'll get what you paid for.


As you may know,I'm a sort of a Nintendo fanboy,and so I must complain yet again that Nintendo is behind the times buy not adding a good achievement system.Currently,the Wii U's achievement system is game-by-game and up to the developers to implement them or not.I don't know how well it works since I don't have a Wii U,so I can't really comment on that.
Say what you will about Air Ride,but it deserves
SOME credit.

Anyway,I sort of want the 3DS to get patched for achievements,mostly because I'm certain I can get all of the ones of Ocarina of Time.Imagine getting an achievement for compleating a 3-heart run,or for getting all the collectables,stuff that fans normally do,but we can show it off to everyone.

I find it weird that Nintendo hasn't properly embraced this system since some of their games already has in game achievements,starting with Kirby's Air Ride.
It should be noted that Kid Icarus Uprising and Super Smash Bros Brawl,other games with similar in-game achievements,had Masahiro Sakurai play a role in the development of these games.



I know people rather Nintendo just focus on the games and ignore achivements,but this could end up hurting them.
Imagine you're at Gamestop and happen to have a PS3 and a Wii U,and you see a game,say Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed.
They're the same price,you know nothing about either version but want to pick it up.
You look on the back of the boxes and make an almost impulsive decision to get the PS3 version because it has Trophies,something the Wii U doesn't list and therefore you get something more if you use that logic.
Third party games on the Wii U might suffer on the platform and in turn,we'll get less games for it.


At the end of the day,it doesn't really matter if they're in or not,at least for me.
People have been speedrunning and 100 percenting games years before these things were ever thought of.They're just a fun little addition that might make you play a game you like just a bit more.




























No comments:

Post a Comment